Aiming to grow the value of the Australian tech industry to $250 billion over the next decade, 23 Australian leaders in tech have formed the Tech Council of Australia.
The Tech Council comprises the full spectrum of tech companies. It will aim to advise and engage with governments, businesses and the wider community to help support the ongoing creation, development, and adoption of technology across industries.
The council’s board includes Atlassian co-founder Scott Farquhar, Afterpay co-founder Anthony Eisen and Canva co-founder Cliff Obrecht. The board will be overseen by Tesla chair Robyn Denholm, with various other tech leaders involved in the group.
Considering the sector employs an estimated 861,000 Australians, the group aims to grow the industry, support local talent and influence regulatory policy to ensure the sector can continue to thrive.
Currently, the Australian tech sector contributes $167 billion to the Australian economy. It is the third biggest industry by revenue.
The TCA has three roles
- Policy: To work closely with the industry and government on policy areas that grow the tech sector and jobs in it, such as supporting talent development; incentivising growth and investment; and ensure regulatory settings across the economy work for the tech-enabled economy.
- Research: To undertake unique, data-driven research into the impact of the tech sector, and key issues impacting it.
- Engagement: As the unified voice for the sector, TCA will bring government decision-makers and industry together to engage on the role, value and benefits of the tech sector to Australia.
The full list of board members is:
- Scott Farquhar, Co-CEO, Atlassian (Director)
- Anthony Eisen, Co-founder and Co-CEO, Afterpay (Director)
- Cliff Obrecht, Co-founder and COO, Canva (Director)
- Mina Radhakrishnan, CEO, :Different (Director)
- Didier Elzinga, CEO, Culture Amp (Director)
- Wyatt Roy, Former Federal Minister (Executive Director)
- Kate Jones, Former Queensland Minister (Executive Director)
- Alex McCauley, former CEO, StartupAus (Executive Director)
- Kate Pounder, CEO, Tech Council of Australia
You can view the full list of companies involved on the Tech Council’s website.